Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How Do I change the Ball Joints on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe?

I'm having a hard time making right turns. The power steering fluid is full. The dust boots on the lower ball joints on both sides is cracked. Should I attempt to replace the ball joints myself or just take it to the shop? What would be the average price for all four ball joints to be replaced? Thanks!How Do I change the Ball Joints on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe?Raise the front end off the ground, place jack stands under the frame so the front suspension hangs free. Take a long pry bar or a wrecking bar if that's all you have. Move the lower 'A' frames up and down. Grab the tires and see if they move around or feel %26quot;loose%26quot;. If the ball joints are bad, you'll see them move. You can also work the steering back and forth and maybe see whats binding. Ball joints are not hard to change, they are not very expensive.How Do I change the Ball Joints on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe?zzzzzzzzHow Do I change the Ball Joints on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe?Above are good answers. Check first according to what said.

Ball joints are not too expensive and they not hard to replace, just work safe. I not sure of the tool name. I call it a %26quot;Tuning Fork%26quot; It just a simple tool you hammer between the ball and where it bolt in and it pop out easy (We hope). I would suggest you get a cheap repair manual for $15-20 at the auto-part store, many will rent/loan the tuning fork if you not want to buy.

Also, as mentioned some use a Rivet type mount and it may need drilled out, the new ball joints come with bolts to mount them.How Do I change the Ball Joints on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe?If they are the original ones they are riveted to the control arm assembly. I usually grind the heads of the rivets off and punch the rest through. New ones come with bolts to bolt onto control arm.