Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How difficult is it to change the ball joints on my 93 GMC k3500?

I recently purchased a 93 GMC K3500 with a 6.2 TD and was told it desperately needs new upper and lower ball joints, idler arm and pitman arm. I like to try to do my own work but I don't want to get into something that is beyond my capabilities. I know my way around Chevy trucks to an extent, but have never tackled this situation. Any feedback from someone who has done this before? Is this something I could do myself, or is this mechanic material?How difficult is it to change the ball joints on my 93 GMC k3500?its easilt something you can do yourself, you might want to invest in a puller for the pitman arm, or if you have a big enough gear puller, you can usually make that work, the ball joints are just a general pain in the but, if you do not have a press at your house you can try using a small one cranked with a ratchet, but most often they get stuck in there pretty good and you may have to take the whole control arm to the parts store to get pressed out. overall it is something that is worth doing yourself, who knows, they may just pop out with a hammer, every vehicle is defferent. you will save a boatload of cash doing this yourselfHow difficult is it to change the ball joints on my 93 GMC k3500?None of it is simply %26quot;easy%26quot; really, and ball joints can be a real pain sometimes doing it on the ground. To be honest, it might be better to suck it up and let an equipped shop do it for you, as several %26quot;special tools%26quot; are normally helpful...How difficult is it to change the ball joints on my 93 GMC k3500?Unless you have the proper tool,suggest you hire someone do the job that does.